The process of exploring one’s sexuality is unique to each individual, and it’s essential for our health that we are connected with who we are, as well as being aware of what we enjoy and what we don’t enjoy. Exploring our sexuality is not something we do only during certain periods of our lives, it’s a continuous process. Even after having had sexual experiences, your personal preferences and desires may change over time. But, above all, you are the only one capable of discovering what works for you to have a healthy sexual life.
Feeling Self-Conscious or Guilty
Often, we stay in our comfort zone when we don’t feel capable of trying something new because it feels safer. But, our comfort zone can evolve over time, as it changes along with our life experiences. If we challenge ourselves to explore and change with it, we can welcome new and unknown experiences that will become our future comfort zone. In other words, our comfort zone is something we create and not something we are given.
Regarding sexuality, challenging yourself and trying new things will allow you to truly get to know your body and desires. However, you may very well find different obstacles along the way.
- Taboos: Sexuality is considered to be a taboo subject in many societies and cultures in which sex is not a common topic of conversation. If a person doesn’t feel comfortable talking about sex with others, it may even feel inappropriate for them to engage in or think seriously about sex, or perhaps fantasize about experiences they would like to have with a partner.
- Lack of information: Because sexuality is still a taboo subject in some parts of the world, many may not be well-informed about how sexuality influences overall health. Nevertheless, it is important to know ourselves deeply, including that part of ourselves that involves our sexuality. Exploring this aspect of ourselves allows us to ultimately gain a deeper understanding of our identity and sexual orientation, essential ingredients for living a meaningful, purposeful, and joyful life.
- Self-confidence: Our self-esteem and the way we feel about our bodies can also influence our sexual journey. The fear of rejection, insecurity about one’s body image, or feeling too shy, for example, can prevent us from fully exploring our sexuality. Although, much like the process of exploring our sexuality, this can take time and is different for everyone. It’s all about taking little steps and being kind to yourself!
Communication is Vital
Being able to communicate our personal needs and concerns is vital in order to enjoy a fulfilling sexual life. It might feel challenging to talk about sexuality, but being open to healthy ways in which to explore, discover, share, and trust ourselves and others will improve your wellness and the quality of your relationships.
It’s important to share any concerns you may have with the people in your life that have a positive influence on your attitude towards sexuality and relationships. Of course, not everything needs to be shared, and you can decide what you think you should keep private at any time. Your sexuality can be a deeply personal and unique experience for you. In any case, discovering and communicating what brings you healthy sexual fulfillment can be beneficial for you and your relationships.
What Can You Do to Explore Your Sexuality?
- Journaling: Writing allows us to explore our emotions. Communicating with our inner self enables us to deeply connect with our minds and bodies. Sometimes we are not aware of our feelings and thoughts until we write them down.
- Tantra yoga: This practice can enable us to deeply connect with and fully understand ourselves. By reducing stress and anxiety and promoting a better understanding of yourself, you can improve your confidence and boost your sexuality.
- Podcasts and books: There are different sources of information about sexuality and how to explore it. Even though it is a personal process, external help from professionals on the topic could be just what you need if you’re having doubts about going it alone.
- Experts: Speaking with an expert can improve your understanding of sexuality and how you develop healthy sexual habits and practices. The field of sexual health is vast, and professional guidance and support can be a great help to your sexual health journey.
Healthy sexuality is a very personal process that requires emotional awareness and sometimes courage. You might already feel and discover sexual fulfillment with a consenting partner, or you may be looking for others to help you discover your sexuality. Your desires and preferences are intimate, and something only you can experience with your body and emotions. It truly is a special aspect of our lives, so let’s try to cherish it!